Kinvara is a wonderful place from which to explore the local countryside. Here is our suggested bucket list!
10 Things To Do During your Stay at the Merriman
- Stroll around the quaint fishing village of Kinvara and discover a rich history ...we can give you a local walking map at reception
- Visit the famous Dunguaire Castle which is the most photographed Castle in Ireland! They also host Medieval Banquets if fancy a goblet of Mead!
- Walk the Flaggy Shore, much beloved by Seamus Heaney and mentioned in his poem Postscript as a place that can "catch the heart off guard and blow it open"….
- Visit The Burren a vast limestone region rich with rare flora and crossed by ancient green roads
- Cycle the quiet country roads with a tasty picnic in your basket – we have bikes available for our guests
- Have a swim at our local blue flag beach, Traught pronounced "Trawct" over looking Galway Bay a wonderful safe place to go for a dip in the Atlantic Ocean and enjoy the local wild life.
- Stay in May and participate in one of Ireland’s oldest festivals, "Fleadh na gCuach" (The Cuckoo Festival) which is held each year on the May Bank Holiday Weekend, a Traditional Irish Music Festival where you will find over 50 music sessions in the village pubs along with Arts, Crafts, Poetry and Drama.
- "Cruinniu na mBad" (The Gathering of the Boats) now in its 29th year, held in early August. Celebrating the iconic Galway Hooker boats the original work horse of the sea in these parts.
- Deep sea diving and cave diving are brought to epic levels around Kinvara
- Painters and artists of all kinds find the unique environment inspiring - we even have our own Burren College of Art
Let us know how you get on….
'This was our second time using the Merriman Hotel and as with the first time, we were really happy with the support provided by all staff and with the overall feel of the venue. Participants feedback that it was a nice venue to conduct an event.'
Mrs Ainslie (Hotel Guest)
'If you're tired of Ireland, you're tired of life.'